I have been reading ‘Paleofantasy’ by Marlene Zuk.
She discusses what she terms “paleofantasy love” and she quotes Sarah B. Hrdy and the ‘sex contract’ hypothesis.
Meat for sexual fidelity: the sex contract hypothesis
Hrdy and others suggest that our ancient ancestors traded ‘meat for fidelity’, and this forms the core of the ‘sex contract’ hypothesis. Note: to be fair to Ms Hrdy, I have NOT read her original work, and I am basing any judgements in this blog on the quotes in Marlene Zuk’s Paleofantasy. The notion goes, that as our large brains grew, caveman became smart enough to realise that his best chances of producing offspring that reach adulthood was to provide for his woman while she nurtured the babies, so he hunted the meat, while cave woman sat at home tending the babies, and she gave him sexual fidelity in return for him bringing home food for his kin.
In my uneducated opinion, this is wrong.
I see it this way.
Someone posed this question to me “If you could go back in time to when you were a teenager, what advice would you give the teenage you?”
I answered like this:
- Dream big, bigger, massive!
- Believe in myself
- Give up worthlessness, drop the low self-opinion, lose the low self-esteem, learn to love myself
- Know my own abilities, and strive constantly for more
- Invest in my own education, constantly
- Learn, grow, be incredible….
- Spend less time drunk
- Exercise every day of my life
- Don’t smoke
- Don’t eat junk food
- Read. Study. Learn from people I admire. Connect with influential people. Pick awesome role models
- Start my own company(s) early in life
- Set high standards, for my friends, my career, my goals and dreams, but mostly for myself
- Save 10% of every penny I earn from day one and invest it in property and stocks
- Work hard
- Aim high
- Don’t waste a day, they are ALL so precious
- Love passionately and ceaselessly, believe in true love
- Give generously
- Travel extensively
- Live with passion, energy, intrigue and desire
- Invest in property as young as possible
- Keep searching, keep questioning
- Never, ever, ever give up